"Spence Romps to Convincing Win Saturday at Winchester"
"Henderson Wires RUSH Crate Late Model Event"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Defending track champion JT Spence drove to his first feature win of the 2015 season in last Saturday nights 30-lap Late Model feature at Winchester Speedway. The win for Spence, worth $2000, made him the third different Late Model winner of the three-week old season.
Walter Crouch and JT Spence brought the field to green, with Spence gaining control as the field raced off turn-four. Spence clearly was the class of the field as he would go on to lead all 30-circuits aboard his Greg Gunter owned,Rocket no.91. Eventual runner-up Dale Hollidge chased Spence the entire way, but would never get close enough to mount a serious challenge. "We've been working our guts out to get this car right." A jubilant Spence stated during his post-race interview. "We've thrown everything at it but the kitchen sink and I think we're getting close with it, but I think we can do a little more." Spence was quick to acknowledge those who propelled him to the checkered flag. "Greg (Gunter) gives us whatever we need to run up front." Spence stated. "We switched to Penske shocks this season and Jim Stevens really has our program headed in the right direction." Walter Crouch was solid in third with Wesley Bonebrake and Tom Decker Jr. completing the top-five. Heats went to Decker and Spence.
Darin Henderson, fresh off his win at Potomac the week prior, drove to the win in the 25-lap RUSH Crate Late Model main in the divisions first appearance of the season. Henderson,who lined-up second for the start, darted into the race lead on lap-one and would take the win over eighth-starting Kris Eaton. "This is awesome!!" Henderson stated as he climbed from his winning mount. "We still don't have this car totally figured out, and I think we can make it better." Said Henderson. "I'm really pumped for these (RUSH) tour races coming up,I think we'll have something for them." Rob Nichols, took third with Travis Carroll and Matt Tarbox rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Nichols and Henderson.
Defending track champion Mike Franklin scored a hat-trick with his third win in a row in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature. Franklin, who started ninth, wrestled the top-spot from Jerry Jenkins Jr. on lap-ten and drove off to collect his fourth overall win of the young 2015 season. Jeremy Tinsman was third with Chris Sumption and Tony Catlett filling the front-five.
Dylan Rutherford scored his second win in a row and third overall this season with his win in the 15-lap Enduro Stock main. Rutherford and Tyler Gray swapped the top-spot for a majority of the event with Rutherford nipping Gray at the stripe to take the win. Defending track champion Mark Vegh was third with Paul Jones and Ray Priest rounding out the top-five.
Defending U-Car champion Jeff Wilkins raced to his first win of 2015 in the 15-lap U-Car feature. It was a family affair at the front as Jeff and his son Jason battled furiously over the entire 15-lap contest with Jeff prevailing for the hard-fought win. Charlie Good took third with Ricky Feltner and Terry Leach taking fourth and fifth.
In the nightcap 15-lap Four Cylinder feature Austin Stover became the divisions third different winner in three races. Stover came from his fifth-starting spot to snare the lead from Randy Linaburg on lap-eleven and would lead the distance to post the win. Tommy Whitt, Allen Whitt Jr. and Justin Hottle rounded out the top-five.
Late Model feature finish
1.JT Spence 2. Dale Hollidge 3. Walter Crouch 4.Wesley Bonebrake 5.Tom Decker Jr. 6.Larry Ramsey 7. Jacob Burdette 8. Dallas Richards 9.James Carte 10. Jimmy Richards 11. Chris Fletcher 12. Carl Grady 13. Justin Steele 14. Tom Decker III
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Darin Henderson 2. Kris Eaton 3. Rob Nichols 4. Travis Carroll 5. Matt Tarbox 6. Jamie Sutphin 7. Jennae Piper 8. Jim Ohara 9. Scott Sweeney 10. Dave Friedrich 11. Harry Shipe Jr. 12. John Imler 13. Scott Merryman 14. Joe Hall 15. Walter Nichols 16. Tom Pizzuro 17. Reese Masiello 18. Timmy Booth 19. Transton Stoner
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Franklin 2. Jerry Jenkins Jr. 3. Jeremy Tinsman 4. Chris Sumption 5. Tont Catlett 6. Brian Luttrell 7. Sam Crouch 8. Joey Carter 9. Donald Steele
U-Car feature finish
1. Jeff Wilkins 2. Jason Wilkins 3. Charlie Good 4. Ricky Feltner 5. Terry Leach 6. Alan Dice 7. Travis Clark 8. Theo Funk 9. Randy Wilkins 10. Tony Fadeley 11. Robert Wilson 12. Dwayne Pierson 13. Larry Lamb 14. Greg Carrico 15. Jacob Whitt
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. Tyler Gray 3.Mark Vegh 4. Paul Jones 5. Ray Priest 6. Allen Jones 7. Dalton Dillman 8. Jonsey Jones 9. Jay Priest
Four-Cylinder feature finish
1. Austin Stover 2. Randy Linaburg 3. Tommy Whitt 4. Allen Whitt Jr. 5. Justin Hottle 6. Roger Whitlock 7. Ethan Ours 8. Ed Gageby 9. Jesse Boyce 10. Michael Pfaff 11. Allen Vaughan