"Miller Collects Career-First in Winchester Season Opener"
"Coffey Brews Winning Run in Limited Late Models"
By Doug Watson
Winchester,VA- "I can't believe we finally got one." Were the words from a jubilant Jason Miller as he stood in the Winchester Speedway victory lane last Saturday night following his Late Model win in the tracks first event of the 2015 season. The win for Miller,worth $2000, was not only his first-ever Winchester feature win but his first-ever win in Late Model competition.
Amanda Whaley and Jason Miller shared the front-row for the start of the 30-lap main with Miller surging into the race lead as the field raced off turn-two. Miller clearly had his car dialed in to the slick Winchester surface as he would lead all 30-circuits,but it was no easy trip to victory lane. Dale Hollidge stayed with Miller for the first 15-laps before a broken drive shaft sidelined his effort,forcing him from the event. Fifth-starting Kenny Moreland then took-up the chase and would get close to Miller more than once,but was unable to make the pass,and would eventually settle for runner-up money. "When we got this MasterSbilt car at the end of last season we knew we had a car capable to win,and tonight we finally were able to get it done." An ecstatic Miller stated in his post-race interview. "This win would not have been possible with out all my crew, sponsors and especially my dad." Miller stated. "Their hard work is what made this possible and I just hope we can get some more before the season is over." Ross Robinson was third, Amanda Whaley held-tough for fourth with Chris Fletcher rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Hollidge and Jason Miller.
Jeremy Coffey drove an inspired race to take top-honors in the 20-lap Limited Late Model feature. Second-starting Jonathon DeHaven darted into the race lead and would pace the field for the first 10-laps with Coffey in-tow. Coffey would then snare the top-spot from DeHaven on the 11th-lap and drive off uncontested to post his second-career Winchester feature win. "I cant thank Mark Pettyjohn and PJ1 race cars for all there help." Said Coffey."They worked on this car until 2:30 am this morning, and to win here tonight is just amazing." DeHaven held-on for second with Jimmy Richards,Robbie Emory and Travis Stickley completing the top-five. Heats went to Stickley and Emory.
Defending track champion Mike Franklin drove to the win in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature. Franklin, who started on the pole, took the lead on lap-one and would eventually lead the distance over runner-up Craig Parrill. Jeremy Tinsman, Chris Sumption and Sam Crouch rounded out the top-five.
Cody Kershner, the reigning Four-Cylinder champion, was victorious in the divisions 15-lap contest. Austin Stover lead for two-laps before Justin Hottle took over and would lead until lap-six. Cody Kershner became the third,and final, leader on lap seven and would eventually take the win by a wide margin over Justin Hottle. Austin Stover, Jesse Boyce and Allen Vaughan trailed.
Dylan Rutherford claimed the win in the 15-lap Enduro Stock main. James Gray lead the first seven-circuits before Rutherford slid by to take the race lead for good on lap-eight. Gray held on for second with defending track champion Mark Vegh, Ray Priest and Paul Jones third through fifth.
Jason Wilkins was triumphant in the nightcap 15-lap U-Car feature. Wilkins started on the pole and would lead the duration to post the win. Defending champion Jeff Wilkins was second with Mark Pollard, Randy Wilkins and Terry Leach completing the top-five.
Late Model feature finish
1. Jason Miller 2.Kenny Moreland 3. Ross Robinson 4.Amanda Whaley 5.Chris Fletcher 6.Brad Ritter 7. JT Spence 8.Larry Ramsey 9.Tom Decker Jr. 10. Dominic DeFino 11. Walter Crouch 12. Kerry King 13. Kris Eaton 14. Jacob Burdette 15. Tom Decker III 16. Brad Omps 17. Dale Hollidge
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Jeremy Coffey 2. Jonathon DeHaven 3. Jimmy Richards 4. Robbie Emory 5. Travis Stickley 6.Wesley Bonebrake 7. James Carte 8. Transton Stoner 9. Dallas Richards 10. Daryl Hills 11. Kevin Deremer 12. Mitch Miller 13. Joe Hall 14. Justin Steele 15. Tom Chaffins
Pure Stock Feature finish
1. Mike Franklin 2. Craig Parrill 3. Jeremy Tinsman 4. Chris Sumption 5. Sam Crouch 6. Jerry Jenkins Jr. 7. Hopper Steele 8. Jonathon Oliver 9. Tony Catlett
Four-Cylinder feature finish
1. Cody Kershner 2. Justin Hottle 3. Austin Stover 4. Allen Vaughan 5. Jesse Boyce 6. Randy Linaburg 7. Allen Whitt Jr. 8. Tommy Whitt 9. William Riley 10. Roger Whitlock
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. James Gray 3. Mark Vegh 4. Ray Priest 5. Paul Jones 6. Dalton Dillman 7. Allen Jones 8. "Krazy" Kenny Thomas
U-Car feature finish
1. Jason Wilkins 2. Jeff Wilkins 3. Mark Pollard 4. Randy Wilkins 5. Terry Leach 6. Josh Wilkins 7. Larry Lamb 8. Chris Mowery 9. Greg Carrico 10. Ricky Feltner 11. Ricky Runion 12. Robert Vouros 13. Dwayne Pearson 14. Robert Wilson 15. Jacob Whitt 16. Charlie Good 17. Alan Dice 18. Travis Clark