“Pettyjohn Romps to Winchester Fourth in Saturday Late Model Main”
“Rodney Walls Impressive in Career-First LLM Score”
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Milton Delaware’s Mark Pettyjohn drove a flawless race to score his fourth Late Model feature win last Saturday night at Winchester speedway. The win for Pettyjohn, worth $2000, was his fifth overall Late Model main event win of the 2013 season.
Pettyjohn and Kenny Moreland made up the front-row for the start of the event. When the green was displayed Pettyjohn shot into the race lead as the pack raced into turn one. From that point on, it would be a race for second, as Pettyjohn would go on to lead all 30-laps as the feature went non-stop for the second week in a row. Pettyjohn’s win was so dominate, that only five of the original 17-car feature line-up was on the lead lap when the checkered flag was displayed. “I just want to thank all the fans for coming out tonight.” Pettyjohn stated in his post-race interview. “I’m sorry that there wasn’t much passing for the lead out there tonight, but it’s my job to win races and I’m fortunate to have such a good car and team behind me.” Superb track conditions allowed Pettyjohn to find the winning groove. “The track got better as the night went on.” Pettyjohn stated. “During the feature I was able to move around a little and find where the car was working the best and we were able to go high or low to get by the lapped cars and it all worked out real good tonight.” Moreland was a distant second, point-leader Trever Feathers was third, Gary Stuhler was fourth with JT Spence rounding-out the top-five. Heats went to Pettyjohn and Moreland.
Rodney Walls scored his first-career Winchester feature win in the 25-lap Potomac/Winchester challenge event for the Limited Late Models. Kyle Lear lead the first 5-laps before a flat tire sent him to the pits handing the lead to impressive second-year pilot James Lichliter. As Lichliter lead, 10th-starting Rodney Walls had reached 5th by lap-6 and set he sights on the leader. Walls assumed the race lead on lap-20 and would go on to lead the final 5-circuits to score the breakthrough win over Lichliter. Justin Weaver was third, Travis Stickley took fourth with Paul Cursey rounding-out the top-five. Heats for the 32-cars on hand went to Lichliter, Lear and Jimmy Jesmer Jr. with Walter Crouch winning the consolation.
Craig Parrill scored his first win of the season in the 15-lap Pure Stock feature. Michael Carter lead the first 3-laps before a crash sidelined his effort. Parrill became the new leader and waged hand to hand combat with Buddy Wilson over the next 11-laps, but would hold tough to score the win. Mike Franklin was third, point leader David Kaiser was fourth with Keith Koontz filling the front-five. Heats for the 19 cars entered went to Parrill and Mike Corbin.
Kevin Pollard scored his 3rd win of the season in the 15-lap U-Car feature. Mark Pollard lead the first 8-laps before Kevin slid into the top spot, which he would hold to the finish. Jason Wilkins was third, Kevin Oates was fourth with Jeff Wilkins completing the top-five. Heats for the 24-cars went to Tom Paddock, Pollard and Jason Wilkins.
Defending track champion “Krazy” Kenny Thomas scored his 3rd win of the season in the nightcap 15-lap Enduro Stock feature. Danny Holmes lead for the first 6-laps before Ray Priest drove to the lead. Thomas, who started 7th, reached second by lap-10 and raced door to door with Priest before squeaking out the win as the duo raced to the start/finish line. Dylan Rutherford was third, Holmes held on for fourth with point leader Mark Vegh finishing fifth. Heats for the 15-cars entered went to Thomas and Jonsey Jones.
Late Model feature finish
1. Mark Pettyjohn 2. Kenny Moreland 3. Trever Feathers 4. Gary Stuhler 5. JT Spence 6. Kyle Hardy 7. Brad Omps 8. Brian Tavenner 9. Tanner Kerr 10. Jason Miller 11. Tommy Armel 12. Tony Crim 13. Barry Miller 14. Greg Elrod 15. Richard Walls 16. Pancho Lawler 17 Keith Jackson (DNS)
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Rodney Walls 2. James Lichliter 3. Justin Weaver 4. Travis Stickley 5. Paul Cursey 6. Kris Holliday 7. Brad Ritter 8. Robbie Emory 9. Bubby Tharp Jr. 10. Derrick Quade 11. Chad Myers 12. Walter Crouch 13. Jonathon DeHaven 14. Jimmy Jesmer Jr. 15. Robbie Black 16. Michael Alderman 17. Bruce Kane 18. Tyler Emory 19. Mike Bennett 20. Kevin Deremer 21. Mitch Miller 22. Jason Smith 23. Kyle Lear 24. Jacob Burdette DNQ- Michael Walls, Keith Walls, James Carte, Tom Chaffins, Don Woodruff, Richard Hawkins, Scott Palmer, Dave Adams
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Craig Parrill 2. Buddy Wilson 3. Mike Franklin 4. David Kaiser 5. Keith Koontz 6. Terry Staton 7. Mike Grady Jr. 8. Steve Kent 9. Josh Wilkins 10. Mike Raleigh 11. Jeff Budwash 12. Reese Alley 13. Dave Mullenax 14. Bill Pifer 15. Greg Breeden 16. Michael Carter 17. Mike Corbin 18. Jerry Jenkins Jr. (DNS) 19. Brian Lutterll (DNS)
U-Car feature finish
1. Kevin Pollard 2. Mark Pollard 3. Jason Wilkins 4. Kevin Oates 5. Jeff Wilkins 6. Alan Dice 7. Michael Pfaff 8. Steve Fadeley 9. Justin Katz 10. Steve Katz 11. Larry Lamb 12. Bobby Perry 13. Jacob Lewis 14. Gene Wilson 15. Tom Paddock 16. Randy Wilkins 17. Theo Funk 18. Gary Wilson 19. Josh Walker 20. Dwayne Pierson 21. Brian Lederhouse 22. Austin Nichols 23. Brenda Alexander 24. Joe Yablonski
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. “Krazy” Kenny Thomas 2. Ray Priest 3. Dylan Rutherford 4. Danny Holmes 5. Mark Vegh 6. Jonsey Jones 7. Jamie Mills 8. Stanley Budwash 9. Gary Moreland Jr. 10. Robert Plaugher Sr. 11. Brian Wallace 12. Rodney Miner 13. Bill Hargett 14. Paul Jones 15. Gary Moreland Sr. (DNS)