"Spence Continues Mid-Season Surge, Scores Winchester Hat-Trick"
"Palmer Green to Checker in LLM Challenge"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Winchester Va.'s JT Spence drove to a convincing victory in last Saturday nights 30-lap Late Model feature at Winchester Speedway. The win for Spence, worth $2000, was his third feature win in the last four Winchester events aboard his Rocket no.91 and fourth overall win in 2014.
JR Overstreet and former track champion Kenny Pettyjohn shared the front-row for the start of the event with Pettyjohn assuming the to-spot as the field raced off turn-two with third-starting JT Spence settling in to second. Pettyjohn, looking for his first Winchester win of the season, lead for the first six-laps before Spence found the bottom of the speedway to his liking and swept into the race lead as the duo raced off turn-two on lap-seven. From that point on, it would be a race for second, as Spence would dominate the remainder of the event to post his third win of the season over Kenny Pettyjohn. "I saw that Kenny was a little tight early on, so I knew I had to get to the bottom if I had a chance to beat him." Spence stated during his post-race interview. "Kenny hasn't raced here a lot this season, but it still feels pretty good to be able to beat a guy like him, he can win just about anywhere." Spence had nothing but praise for the "racy" Winchester track conditions. "You could race all over this place tonight." Said Spence. "Last week it was a little rough, but tonight it was smooth from top to bottom and it make me real proud to win for everyone who puts in all the hard work on this race car." Natural Bridge (VA) speedway invader Overstreet took third, Allan Brannon was fourth with Tony Crim completing the top-five. Heats went to Pettyjohn and Spence.
Current Limited Late Model point leader Scott Palmer scored his second victory on the season in the 30-lap Potomac/Winchester challenge event. Palmer, who started on the pole, jumped into the race lead on lap-one and was never headed as he would take the win over Delaware's Robbie Emory. "I've got to thank Billy Vacek and all the guys from MBH race cars." Palmer stated. "They built us this car over the winter and it has been just about perfect since we brought it out and to win here again tonight is just awesome." Jeremy Coffey came home third, 11th-starting Jonathon DeHaven took fourth with Travis Campbell rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Coffey, Palmer and Chris Fletcher.
Craig Parrill also became a three-time Winchester winner with his win in the 15-lap Pure Stock main. Parrill, who started second, took the race lead on lap-one and then survived a late race surge by current points leader Mike Franklin to preserve the win. Keith Koontz was third, Mike Bennett took fourth with Scotty Nelson completing the top-five. Heats went to Parrill and Sean Dawson.
Current points leader Jeff Wilkins drove to his second win of the season in the 15-lap U-Car feature. Travis Clark lead the first four-laps before Wilkins took the lead for good on lap-five and would then lead a five-car mob across the start/finish line to post the win. Charlie Good was second, Kevin Oates took third, Jason Wilkins fourth with Steve Fadeley rounding out the top-five. Heats went to Oates and Jeff Wilkins.
Dylan Rutherford scored his second win of 2014 in the 15-lap Enduro Stock feature. Rutherford, who lined-up fourth for the start, took the race lead from James Gray on lap-five and would then hold-off a fast closing Dustin Proctor to take the win. Mark Vegh was third, Gray held tough for fourth with "Krazy" Kenny Thomas rounding out the top-five.
Matt Brown was the winner of the 8-lap Lawn Mower main. David Lemley was second, Stephen Critchfield took third, Marvin Grim fourth with Aaron Grim completing the top-five.
Late Model feature finish
1. JT Spence 2. Kenny Pettyjohn 3. JR Overstreet 4. Allan Brannon 5. Tony Crim 6. Greg Elrod 7. Brad Omps 8. Jacob Burdette 9. Mike Steck 10. Tom Decker Jr. 11. Larry Ramsey 12. Don Woodfuff 13. Dale Hollidge 14. Tom Decker III
Limited Late Model feature finish
1. Scott Palmer 2. Robbie Emory 3. Jeremy Coffey 4. Jonathon DeHaven 5. Travis Campbell 6. Derrick Quade 7. Brad Ritter 8. Chris Fletcher 9. Tyler Emory 10. Walter Crouch 11. Mitch Miller 12. Brian Wright 13. Will Rowe 14. Kevin Deremer 15. James Myers 16. Bubby Tharp Jr. 17. Jeff King 18. Jimmy Richards 19. Matt Tarbox 20. Brian Lederhouse 21. Jason Smith 22. Dennis Lamb 23. Dallas Richards 24. Kris Holliday 25. James Carte
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Craig Parrill 2. Mike Franklin 3. Keith Koontz 4. Mike Bennett 5. Scotty Nelson 6. Kevin Koontz 7. Troy Kassiris 8. Sean Dawson 9. Dale Reamy 10. Greg Breeden 11. Andy Adkins 12. Josh Williams 13. Mike Raleigh
U-Car feature finish
1. Jeff Wilkins 2. Charlie Good 3. Kevin Oates 4. Jason Wilkins 5. Steve Fadeley 6. Travis Clark 7. Michael Pfaff 8. Terry Leach 9. Randy Wilkins 10. Gene Wilson 11. DJ Fadeley 12. Jacob Whitt 13. William Boyce 14. Austin Nichols 15. Robert Vorous
Enduro Stock feature finish
1. Dylan Rutherford 2. Dustin Proctor 3. Mark Vegh 4. James Gray 5. "Krazy" Kenny Thomas 6. Danny Holmes 7. Paul Jones 8. Gary Moreland Jr. 9. Gary Moreland Sr. 10. Rodney Miner
Lawn Mower feature finish
1. Matt Brown 2. David Lemley 3. Stephen Critchfield 4. Marvin Grim 5. Aaron Grim 6. Pat Kimble 7. Dustin Grim 8. Jeff Heflin