"Hollidge a Four-Timer in Winchester Late Models"
"Darling Ninth Winner in URC Main"
By Doug Watson
Winchester, VA- Mechanicsville Md.'s Dale Hollidge, one of the hottest drivers in the region, drove to his fourth feature win of the season in last Saturday nights 30-lap Late Model feature at Winchester speedway. The win for Hollidge, worth $2000, was his sixth overall feature score of the 2014 aboard his Rocket no.0.
JT Spence and Brad Omps shared the front-row for the start of the event with Omps surging into the race lead as the mob zipped off turn-two. As Omps lead, third-starting Dale Hollidge settled into second on lap-three and set his sights on Omps. Hollidge slid by Omps on lap-11 to become the new leader, but the race was far from over. Sixth-starting Jamie Lathroum arrived in second on lap-fifteen and would hound Hollidge over the final fifteen circuits that had the Winchester faithful on their feet, but would have to settle for runner-up money. "Starting spot means a lot here at Winchester and we were able to get to the front quick tonight." Hollidge stated in Winchester's victory lane. "I knew Jamie was back there and I had to try and race where I thought he would go, so I knew to protect the bottom on the re-starts and we were able to hold him off". Hollidge stated. "We've been working hard in the shop this season and again, the results are showing." Jason Covert was third, Kyle Hardy took fourth with Allan Brannon rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 29-car field went to Spence, Covert and Lathroum with Kenny Moreland winning the consolation.
Wyoming Delaware's Kevin Darling wired the field to score his first win of the season in the 25-lap Rislone United Racing Club Sprint Car series event. Darling started on the pole and would lead all twenty-five laps over a hard-charging Davey Franek to post his third-career URC feature win. "Starting on the pole helped a lot." Darling stated. "We had a fast hot rod tonight and it feels good to win for all the crew and sponsors." Robbie Stillwaggon was third, Randy West took fourth with Brian Carber completing the top-five. Heats for the 18 cars on hand went to Franek and Stillwaggon.
Ralph Morgan Jr. became the fourth different winner, in as many events, in the 20-lap RUSH Crate Late Model event. John Imler appeared poised for his first win of the season as he lead for seventeen-laps until sixth-starting Ralph Morgan Jr. snared the top-spot on the eighteenth-circuit and drove to his first-career Winchester feature win. "That was some hard racing out there with John (Imler) tonight." Morgan stated. "We broke a shock in the heat race and worked on this thing until feature time, and to come home with a win is awesome." Transton Stoner took third, Darren Henderson was fourth with Timmy Booth filling the front-five. Heats went to Henderson and Stoner.
Mike Corbin, in just his second Winchester start of the season, dominated the 25-lap "Leo Nichols Memorial" Pure Stock event. Corbin, who started second, out-dragged pole-sitter Mike Franklin into the first turn and would go on to lead all twenty-five laps to score his second consecutive win in this event. "It feels good to win this race two years in a row." Said Corbin. "I thought I was in trouble there towards the end as the car was starting to get tight and I knew Mike (Franklin) was back there, so I couldn't make a mistake." Mike Bennett came home third, David Kaiser was fourth with Mike Desch completing the top-five. Heats went Franklin, Corbin and Kaiser.
Jeff Wilkins took his first feature win of the season in the nightcap 15-lap U-Car main. Former track champion Kevin Oates lead for eight-laps before Wilkins grabbed the lead, for good, on lap-nine and romped home to the win. Steve Fadeley was second, Charlie Good was third, Jason Wilkins fourth with Kaili Hockensmith completing the top-five.
Late Model feature finish
1. Dale Hollidge 2. Jamie Lathroum 3. Jason Covert 4. Kyle Hardy 5. Allan Brannon 6. Andy Anderson 7. Keith Jackson 8. Kenny Moreland 9. Brad Omps 10. CS Fitzgerald 11. Andy Fries 12. Tony Crim 13. Brad Ritter 14. Tanner Kerr 15. Chris Fletcher 16. Scott Richwine 17. Jonathon DeHaven 18. Tommy Armel 19. JT Spence 20. Tom Decker III 21. Rick Singleton 22. Gary Stuhler 23. Brian Tavenner 24. DJ Myers DNQ- Keith Walls, James Carte, Jason Miller, Jimmy Richards, Tom Decker Jr.
Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Ralph Morgan Jr. 2. John Imler 3. Transton Stoner 4. Darren Henderson 5. Timmy Booth 6. Ben Bowie 7. Rob Nichols 8. Austin Stover 9. Sonny Hatzell 10. Reese Masiello 11. Dave Friedrich 12. Craig Guido
Pure Stock feature finish
1. Mike Corbin 2. Mike Franklin 3. Mike Bennett 4. David Kaiser 5. Mike Desch 6. Brian Luttrell 7. Craig Parrill 8. Kyle Nelson 9. Jamie Zentmyer 10. Sean Dawson 11. Terry Staton 12. Wayne Hawbaker 13. Josh Wilkins 14. Troy Kassiris 15. Greg Breeden 16. Larry Smith Jr. 17. Michael Carter 18. Tony Catlett 19. Andy Adkins 20. Stanley Budwash 21. Keith Koontz 22. Dickie Tharp 23. Jeffrey Budwash
U-Car feature finish
1. Jeff Wilkins 2. Steve Fadeley 3. Charlie Good 4. Jason Wilkins 5. Kaili Hockensmith 6. Randy Wilkins 7. DJ Fadeley 8. William Boyce 9. Haley Kaiser 10. Austin Nichols 11. Terry Leach 12. Jacob Whitt 13. Kevin Oates 14. Billy Smith 15. Travis Clark 16. Michael Pfaff 17. Gene Wilson 18. Alan Dice
URC Sprint Car feature finish
1. Kevin Darling 2. Davey Franek 3. Robbie Stillwaggon 4. Randy West 5. Brian Carber 6. Josh Weller 7. Troy Betts 8. Jonathon Swanson 9. Jimmy Stitzel 10. Will Eggeman 11. Keith Prutzman 12. Scott Lutz 13. Eddie Wagner 14. Wes Irwin 15. Brad Franks 16. Jeff Fithian 17.Ed Aiken 18. George Streaker